Depending on the nature and degree of hair loss, women may be candidates for capillary graft intervention .
In order to unify therapeutic, medical and surgical criteria, a scale has been established that defines the pattern of hair loss in women with androgenic alopecia. This scale is called Ludwig’s Scale
There is uniform thinning over the entire scalp.
Generalized loss, avoiding in most cases the previous line of implantation, with significant thinning of the upper and lateral part. The back of the scalp has a reasonably good quality and density of hair.
With this pattern there is evidence of severe hair loss in the upper part of the head, with a considerable extension without hair in the midline of separation.
Female androgenic alopecia is caused by a hormonal derangement that causes the hair follicles to become sensitive producing less hair. This decrease in the production of healthy hair prevents the renewal that occurs when there is a natural hair loss. If the slowing down and even the stoppage of the growth of new hair lengthens in time, obvious signs of baldness begin to show in women.
Graphic representation of Ludwig’s scale
Treatments for hair loss in women
The causes of hair loss in women are much more complexthan the classic “male pattern baldness”. Therefore, the correct diagnosis of the underlying cause is vital before it is intended to perform any type of hair loss treatments.
The first remedy to solve female hair loss is usually medical treatment. In the initial stages, women can use Minoxidil in the form of a lotion (2% or 5%) to help preserve and thicken existing hair.
Medications that have Finasteride and similar dihydrotestosterone blockers as an active ingredient should not be taken under any circumstances.
How to use Minoxidil for baldness in women
- It is used twice a day. It has to be applied directly on the areas where there is hair loss
- The effects appear from 4-5 months from the start of treatment
- In case of irritation with 5% Minoxidil (itching, redness in the treatment area), stop using it. When the symptoms disappear, you can continue with the foam form or with the 2% lotion.
- If the treatment is effective do not interrupt before a year.After use it at intervals of time always alternating with some stages of rest
Hair graft in women
Hair transplantation can be a very valid option for many women who suffer from hair loss. Candidates for the procedure should have an area with enough hair in back to use as a donor area.
Hair grafting is also the ideal treatment method for women:
- For partial or complete reconstruction.
- For the camouflage of scars on the scalp (scars from burns and others).
- For the treatment of thinning of the scalp.