Instructions for hair implant
The day of the intervention, we will give you all the exact instructions. If you have any doubts, please contact us and we will give you the instructions to follow.
First 3 days (the operation takes place on day 0)
- A bandage will be placed on the donor area (back). The recipient area will be left uncovered. Do not allow anything to touch the recipient area during the first 24 hours after the surgery.
- During the first night, it is extremely important that the recipient area do not touch anything (not even the pillow) and that the head is slightly raised to avoid an oedema (swelling) around the eyes. The best sleeping position would be to be supported on your back (face up), with your head raised by pillows.
- The bandage on the donor area will be removed the day after the intervention (day 1). It does not require special care. The small incisions in the scalp will have healed when we remove the bandage.
- We will provide all medications and lotions necessary for the postoperative period. In case of experiencing any discomfort, you can take painkillers 3 times a day (we will also provide them).
- Some patients may experience slight oedema (swelling) around the eyes after the surgery. It usually disappears after 2 or 3 days.
- You can resume your usual activities, travel by plane or other means of transport the day after the hair transplant intervention.
- Please avoid any sexual activity during the first 2 days.
- Physical exercise in general can be started or resumed 30 days after the hair transplant intervention.
Instructions for washing (day 3 to day 10)
- You can wash your hair 3 days after the surgery.
Washing is important to avoid crusting around the hair shaft. The scabs adhere to the hair shaft and increase the risk of losing the hair follicles during the first 7 to 10 days after the intervention.
- Washing is a process that involves 2 steps. You will have to dedicate an hour to achieve the best results.
Approximately 45 minutes before washing the scalp, apply the moisturising and softening lotion on the recipient area. Afterwards, you can relax for 45 minutes in order for the moisturising lotion to penetrate the scalp. After 45 minutes, apply our neutral shampoo (without removing the moisturising lotion).
- Use warm water in the shower and at low pressure.
- During the first week after your hair transplant, you will follow the steps above before each shower. Please repeat this process at least once a day, and twice a day at most.
- From day 5 after the hair transplant intervention, gently massage the recipient areas with your fingers while applying the shampoo. In the following days (days 6 to 10), you can gradually increase the pressure when performing the massage.
Moisturizing lotion: Bepanthol lotion or Excipial hydro lotion.
Neutral shampoo: Sebamed shampoo or any baby shampoo.
Both the lotion and the shampoo will be delivered to you the day of the operation, so you will not have to worry about anything.
- Within 7 to 10 days after starting to wash your hair, all clots and scabs should have disappeared.
- If there is any scab still on the scalp after day 10, do not remove it. Let it detach itself.
- After all the clots and scabs have been removed from the recipient area (usually between days 10 and 14) you can start using your usual shampoo.
- During the first month after the hair transplant, do not expose the scalp to the sun or to high temperatures (sauna).
After 7 or 10 days, no one will notice that you have gone through a hair transplant.
Results of the hair implant
- During the first month, almost all of the transplanted hair will fall (process known as latency phase). Do not be alarmed as it is completely normal. During this first month, the transplanted hair follicle cells are taking root.
- From the third month, the transplanted hair will begin to grow.
- Your “new” hair will grow normally (1 to 2 cm per month).
- At first, the “new” growing hair can be thin and curly. As they get longer, they become thicker and straighter.
- The first month you can not cut the hair with clippers in the donor area, but after this period there is no restriction on cutting.
- The final result is fully achieved one year after the intervention. Although after 8 months, the result is very close to the final result.
Additional medical treatment after the transplantation
The result of the hair transplant is permanent. Any subsequent hair loss is likely to be only from the untreated areas. Some patients choose to use medications to delay the loss, while others plan another subsequent transplant to cope with this eventuality.
For certain patients, we can recommend using 5% Minoxidil lotion after the transplant to increase the result. If you already used this treatment before the transplant, you have to wait 10 days to resume the treatment after the intervention.
It may also be advisable, in some cases, to take Finasteride 1g / day if there is still enough native hair, in order to stop the fall. You will be able to resume this treatment 10 days after the operation.
The doctor will be the one to tell you if you need any of these treatments.
Tips to follow after receiving a hair transplant
The hair transplant is a cosmetic surgery and requires a preparation before the intervention and also a post-operative treatment. That is why it is necessary to follow rigorously each and every one of the steps that the doctor prescribes before, but above all after carrying out the intervention.
However, beyond these priority recommendations, there are other tips that were recommended by some of the patients that have previously gone through the hair transplant experience and that we have gathered for you to consider.
- Avoid driving during the first days after the operation since some of the medications may have side effects that can be dangerous while driving.
- Avoid drinking alcohol during the first 2 days after the transplant to help with the recovery.
- Avoid smoking during the post-operative dates in order not to delay the recovery time indicated by your doctor.
- Follow the medication instructions carefully. Although analgesics are not expressly prescribed to relieve pain or to induce rest, there is no incompatibility, except in specific cases, between them and the prescribed drugs.
- Choose clothes that avoid friction on the grafted area both when putting them on and taking them off. You should privilege shirts or jackets over tee-shirts or sweaters, unless you have a wide neck.
- If experiencing the slightest symptoms of inflammation in the grafted area, and unless contraindicated by your doctor, apply ice or a cold cloth on the forehead to reduce it.
- Sleep with the head slightly raised during the first days after the intervention and avoid friction on the grafted area when you rest.
- Follow the washing guidelines indicated by the doctor after the hair transplant.
- If your doctor allows it, apply solutions of iodine or Aloe Vera, since they favour hydration, healing, in addition to considerably reducing the swelling in case it occurs.
- Avoid exposure to the sun for the first month after the hair transplant. This recommendation, like the previous ones, is temporary.
Beyond these tips, the most important thing in any case is to listen to each and every one of the instructions given by the doctor.
In case you have any questions on the elements mentioned above, do not hesitate to use our contact information to get in touch with us. Our specialised team is here to offer you all the information you need.