Instructions for hair implant
The day of the intervention will indicate all instructions exactly. If you have any doubts please contact us and we will indicate the procedures to follow.
First 3 days (the operation is Day 0)
- A bandage will be placed in the donor area (back). The hair transplantreception area will be left uncovered. Do not allow anything to touch the receiving area during the first 24 hours after surgery.
- During the first night , it is extremely important that the reception places do not touch anything (not even the pillow) and that the head is slightly raised to avoid an edema (swelling) around the eyes. The best sleeping position would be supported on his back (face up), with his head raised by pillows.
- The bandage of the donor area is removed the day after the intervention (Day 1). It does not require special care. The small incisions in the scalp will have healed when we remove the bandage.
- We will provide all medications and lotions necessary for the postoperative period. In case of experiencing any discomfort, you can take painkillers 3 times a day (we will also provide them).
- Some patients may experience slight edema (swelling) around the eyes after surgery. It usually disappears after approximately 2 or 3 days.
- You can resume your usual activities, travel by plane or other means of transport the day after the hair transplant intervention.
- Please avoid any sexual activity during the first 2 days.
- Physical exercise in general can be started or resumed at 30 days after the hair transplant intervention.
Instructions for washing (day 3 to day 10)
- You can wash your hair after the third day after surgery.
Washing is important to avoid crusting around the hair shaft. The scabs adhere to the hair shaft and increase the risk of losing the hair follicles during the first 7- 10 days after the intervention.
- Washing is a process that involves two steps. You will have to dedicate an hour to achieve the best results.
Approximately 45 minutes before washing the scalp, apply the moisturizing and softening lotion on the receiving area. Afterwards, you can relax for 45 minutes so that the moisturizing lotion penetrates the scalp. After 45 minutes apply our neutral shampoo (without removing the moisturizing lotion).
- Use warm water in the shower and at low pressure.
- During the first week after your hair transplant, you will follow the steps above before each shower. Please repeat this process a minimum of 1 time a day and a maximum of twice a day.
- From day 5 after the hair transplant intervention, gently massage the recipient areas with your fingers, while applying the shampoo. In the following days (days 6-10), you can gradually increase the pressure when performing the massage.
Moisturizing lotion: Bepanthol lotion or Excipial hydro lotion.
Neutral shampoo: Sebamed shampoo or any baby shampoo.
Both the lotion and the shampoo will be delivered to you the day of the operation, so you will not have to worry about anything.
- Within 7-10 days after starting to wash your hair, all clots and scabs should have disappeared.
- If there is any scab still on the scalp after day 10, do not remove them.Let it detach itself.
- After all the clots and scabs have been removed from the recipient area (usually between days 10 and 14) you can start using your usual shampoo.
- During the first month after capillary grafting, do not expose the scalp to the sun or high temperatures (sauna).
After 7 or 10 days, no one will notice that a hair transplant has been done.
Results of the hair implant
- During the first month, practically all of the transplanted hairs will fall (process known as latency phase). Do not be alarmed it is a totally normal process. During this first month, the transplanted hair follicle cells are taking root.
- From the third month, the transplanted hair will begin to grow.
- Your “new” hair will grow normally (1-2 cm per month).
- At first, the “new” hairs that grow can be thin and curly. As they get longer, they become thicker and straighter.
- The first month you can not cut the hair with a machine in the donor area, after this period there are no restrictions on cutting.
- The final result is obtained one year after the intervention. Although after 8 months, the result is very close to the final.
Additional medical treatment after implantation
The result of the hair transplant is permanent. Any subsequent hair loss is likely to be only from the untreated areas. Some patients choose to use medications to delay the loss, while others plan another subsequent transplant to cope with this eventuality.
For certain patients we can recommend using 5% Minoxidil after transplant to increase the result. If you already used this treatment before transplant, you have to wait 10 days to resume treatment after the intervention.
It may also be advisable, in some cases, to take Finasteride 1g / day if there is still enough native hair, in order to stop the fall. You will be able to resume this treatment 10 days after the operation.
The doctor will be the one to tell you if you need any of these treatments.
El doctor será el que le indique si necesita alguno de estos tratamientos.
Tips to follow after receiving a hair transplant
The hair transplant is a cosmetic surgery and requires a preparation before the intervention and also a post-operative treatment. That is why it is necessary for the patient to follow rigorously each and every one of the steps that the doctor prescribes before, but above all after carrying out the intervention.
However, beyond these priority recommendations, there are some other tips that have been putting value on some of the transplant that have previously gone through the experience of hair transplantation and here we collect them to take them into account.
- Avoid driving during the first days after the operation since some of the medications given may have side effects that discourage this practice.
- Avoid alcohol consumption during the two days after the transplant to promote recovery.
- Avoid smoking during the post-operative dates in order not to delay the recovery times marked by your doctor.
- Follow the medication intake guidelines carefully. Although analgesics are not expressly prescribed to relieve pain or to induce rest, there is no incompetence, except in specific cases, between the prescribed and these.
- Choose clothes that avoid friction with the grafted area both when putting them on and taking them off. Better the use of shirts or jackets than shirts or sweaters, unless you have a wide neck.
- Before the slightest symptoms of inflammation in the grafted area, and unless contraindicated by your doctor, apply ice or a cold cloth on the forehead to reduce it.
- Sleep with the head slightly raised during the first days after the intervention and avoid graft area receiving friction during the hours of rest.
- Follow the washing guidelines indicated by the doctor during the dates after the hair graft.
- If your doctor allows it, apply solutions of iodine or aloe vera, since these favor hydration, healing, in addition to considerably reducing the swelling in the case of this occur.
- Avoid exposure to the sun for the first month after the hair transplant. Subsequently this recommendation, as well as the rest of those indicated in this list, will disappear.
Beyond these tips, the most important thing in any case is to listen to each and every one of the guidelines made by the doctor.
In case of doubt about this or any of the other matters exposed in this web pages do not hesitate to use any of the different ways that we enable you to get in touch with us. Our specialized team is waiting to offer you all the information you need.